RE:JERSEY – PUMA tests garment-to-garment recycling in a circularity project, using old football kits to produce new ones | Business
HERZOGENAURACH, Germany–(BUSINESS WIRE)–March 23, 2022–
Sports company PUMA will pilot an innovative production process to use existing football shirts to produce new ones. This initiative aims to reduce waste and pave the way for more circular production models in the future.
This press release is multimedia. Read the full press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220323005444/en/
Sports company PUMA will pilot an innovative production process to use existing football shirts to produce new ones as part of its RE:JERSEY circularity project. (Photo: BusinessWire)
The process used in RE:JERSEY means that old garments that feature logos, embroidery and club badges, which previously hindered recycling efforts to turn old garments into new, can now be used. The RE:JERSEY project uses football kits as the main ingredient to create yarn for new jerseys.
In the recycling process used for the RE:JERSEY project, the garments are chemically broken down into their main components (depolymerization). The colors are then filtered and the material is chemically reassembled to create a yarn (repolymerization) that has the same performance characteristics as virgin polyester.
While PUMA football kits on the market today are already made from 100% recycled polyester, RE:JERSEY kits are made with 75% reused football jerseys. The remaining 25% comes from SEAQUAL ® MARINE PLASTIC 1.
“With the RE:JERSEY project, we wanted to develop ways to reduce our impact on the environment, respect resources and reuse materials,” said Howard Williams, director of apparel technology at PUMA. “The knowledge we gained with RE:JERSEY will help us develop more circular products in the future.”
Products made under the RE:JERSEY project will be worn on the pitch during pre-match warm-ups by PUMA clubs Manchester City, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund and Olympique de Marseille. The teams will wear the shirts ahead of their respective league matches at the end of April and May, starting with Manchester City against Watford on April 23.
The RE:JERSEY pilot experience is part of PUMA’s Circular Lab and its Forever Better sustainability platform. As part of Circular Lab, PUMA announced the RE:SUEDE program last year, which tests whether the company can make a biodegradable version of its iconic SUEDE sneaker.
PUMA is one of the world’s leading sports brands, designing, developing, selling and marketing footwear, apparel and accessories. For more than 70 years, PUMA has relentlessly advanced sport and culture by creating fast products for the world’s fastest athletes. PUMA offers sports-inspired performance and lifestyle products in categories including Football, Running & Training, Basketball, Golf and Motorsports. He collaborates with well-known designers and brands to bring sports influences into street culture and fashion. The PUMA Group owns the PUMA, Cobra Golf and stichd brands. The company distributes its products in more than 120 countries, employs more than 16,000 people worldwide and is headquartered in Herzogenaurach/Germany. https://about.puma.com/
1 SEAQUAL®MARINE PLASTIC
SEAQUAL ® MARINE PLASTIC is a sustainable and fully traceable raw material from SEAQUAL INITIATIVE that is made from marine waste, or in some cases end-of-life fishing nets or other plastics used in aquaculture (such as those used in the mussel farming and oyster farming). ). For more information visit https://www.seaqual.org
See the source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220323005444/en/
CONTACT: Media contact:
Kerstin Neuber – Corporate Communications – PUMA SE – +49 9132 81 2984 –email@example.com
KEYWORD: GERMANY EUROPE
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: FASHION FOOTBALL RETAIL SPORTS TEXTILE MANUFACTURING
Copyright BusinessWire 2022.
PUBLISHED: 03/23/2022 05:00 AM/DISC: 03/23/2022 05:02 AM
Copyright BusinessWire 2022.