Shirt swap! PUMA and BVB introduce RE:JERSEY circularity project to fans

HERZOGENAURACH, Germany–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Sports company PUMA and Borussia Dortmund swapped shirts with fans at Signal Iduna Park ahead of kick-off on Saturday to draw attention to the RE:JERSEY circularity project, in which PUMA is testing a method innovative recycling.

Before the game against VfL Bochum, the Borussia players warmed up wearing RE:JERSEYs, which are made from 75% reused football shirts. Then BVB legends Roman Weidenfeller, Wolfgang “Teddy” de Beer and Norbert “Nobby” Dickel encouraged fans to donate their old polyester items. In exchange, a few lucky fans received RE:JERSEYs signed by the players.

In the RE:JERSEY project, PUMA is testing an innovative chemical recycling process, which transforms old polyester garments into new jerseys. The goal of this project is to reduce waste and pave the way for more circular production methods.

“We are certain that we will continue our ambitious path towards more sustainable production models with the RE:JERSEY project,” said Matthias Baeumer, Managing Director BU Teamsport at PUMA. “Our partnership with BVB is very strong and we are happy that they are supporting us in this innovative trial.

Starting Monday, PUMA and BVB will set up collection bins, where fans can donate their old polyester items, which will be used for the RE:JERSEY project. Fans who donate old items can also enter a raffle to win great prizes such as autographed jerseys. More information can be found at https://www.bvb.de/eng/puma-re-jersey .

“We see a growing interest from our fans in sustainable merchandising and that they are more aware of sustainability topics,” said Kerstin Zerbe, Managing Director of BVB Merchandising GmbH. “We are happy that our collection points at FanWelt are helping to make our jerseys more circular in the future. We share this ambition with our partner PUMA.

The RE:JERSEYs worn by the BVB players during Saturday’s warm-up were made with 75% reused football shirts. The remaining 25% comes from SEAQUAL ® MARINE PLASTIC1.

In the recycling process used for the RE:JERSEY project, the garments are chemically broken down into their main components (depolymerization). The colors are then filtered and the material is chemically reassembled to create a yarn (repolymerization) that has the same performance characteristics as virgin polyester.

Besides BVB, the PUMA teams of Manchester City, AC Milan and Olympique de Marseille are also part of this project.

PUMA

PUMA is one of the world’s leading sports brands, designing, developing, selling and marketing footwear, apparel and accessories. For more than 70 years, PUMA has relentlessly advanced sport and culture by creating fast products for the world’s fastest athletes. PUMA offers sports-inspired performance and lifestyle products in categories including Football, Running & Training, Basketball, Golf and Motorsports. He collaborates with well-known designers and brands to bring sports influences into street culture and fashion. The PUMA Group owns the PUMA, Cobra Golf and stichd brands. The company distributes its products in more than 120 countries, employs approximately 16,000 people worldwide and is headquartered in Herzogenaurach/Germany.

[1] SEAQUAL ® MARINE PLASTIC

SEAQUAL® MARINE PLASTIC is a sustainable and fully traceable raw material from SEAQUAL INITIATIVE that is made from marine waste, or in some cases end-of-life fishing nets or other plastics used in aquaculture (such as those used in the mussel farming and oyster farming). ). For more information, visit https://www.seaqual.org

Comments are closed.